...where the adventure begins

...where the adventure begins

Friday, December 30, 2011

the wind...

Every where we've lived, folks have talked about it being windy. I'm not sure I can say really that one place is windier than another, although..... We've had the wind blowing here for days, weeks likely. Getting tired of the wind. We are in a place that people usually fear is very cold in the winter. We really haven't seen winter yet, but I fear that day is coming. It is supposed to be 50 today. Some folks would jump and shout at that temp this time of year. I'm not saying I'm not happy about it, its just in the last several weeks when they talk about that warm temp, they are usually telling you thats the wind speed as well. Yes, we live in an area that is know for the chinook winds that blow through every few weeks during the winter and warm things up, melt the snow and make people wear shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter on a 50 degree day. Lately the wind and the temp has matched in the forecast, 40 degrees and 40 mph winds, 50 degrees and 50 mph winds. The past few night the wind has howled so much is woke us up during the night, thankfully NOT due to falling debris, just the wind howling. I'm starting to wonder what life would be like to not have a windy day, or for the wind to blow just once in a while.

We took a walk around the farm this morning- the boys mowed a track all around the fence line so we can get a good 2 mi walk with elevation. At one point during the walk, we were at the highest point and talked about putting up a wind generator. Then we talked a bout how much line it would take to run it down the hill, through the field to connect it to the buildings. Someone else mentioned recently that the wind goes through seasons, like this year may be really windy, but next year you'll hardly have any. I'm not sure I ever thought of wind like that.

Just thinking today how nice it would be to have a day without the wind blowing gusts over 50 mph. Holding on to our hats here!! Hope its calmer where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment