...where the adventure begins

...where the adventure begins

Sunday, May 29, 2011

garden update

Its still wet and cool here. We woke up to 39 degrees this morning, on memorial day weekend! We took advantage of a dry evening this week and got the seeds in for the garden- zucchini, spinach, radishes, carrots, potatoes, corn, onions, green beans, artichokes,cucumbers, dill, oregano, basil, thyme, pumpkins. We've got tomatoes and pepper plants to put in but are waiting for another day or two to avoid a risk for frost. The rest of the week, Tuesday on, sounds like an awesome forcast, upper 60's mid 70's, sunny and dry!! So much flooding out here at present. Many recreation spots/camgrounds were all closed and lots of the highways are under water. Good reason to stay put this weekend! This area is definately NOT used to this much moisture.

We're tearing up the flower beds as well. They've been neglected for several years and we're just going to start from scratch.

Just after we finished planting the garden, we had visitors. How well do you think our garden will do this year?? I was at the garden store talking to a master gardener. I was asking how to keep critters out of the garden. At our last place we used dried blood and that was effective I thought. When I mentioned it to the master gardener, he advised against it, thinking in the area we are now, it'll attract BEARS!! Thats all we need!!! He is suggesting we put up an electric fence and to dip the top wire in molasses. He has used this at his house and after the first time, the deer stand outside the garden admiring it and have never crossed that line. Hmmmm.



Oldest finished school on Thursday. Youngest will finish this week. Can't believe its summer already! So far it doesn't feel like summers I've been used to!

A beautiful sunset from the farm....Good night everyone....

1 comment: