...where the adventure begins

...where the adventure begins

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Winter has arrived....

Predictions were the topic of conversation this weekend, the big storm was coming in. We spent the majority of the weekend out tieing down the re bar for the foundation. I don't know much about these things, but we tied at ever 1 ft corner-wish I had a penny for every wire tie we did. That was the bulk of our weekend -Sat, Sunday, Honey's Monday- we even worked during the evenings with a light, quiting about 10pm. Last night Honey and I were out in the rain trying to finish up. They were predicting 9 inches- just in time for the foundation to be poured- Oh! and they are calling for lows in the negative numbers this weekend as well- BRRRR!! The first cold of the season is COLD!!!. We were awaken this morning about 5am when the 200 mph winds rolled through- OK, not really 200, I'd guess a sustained 50 mph at least. All I could picture in bed was a huge re bar square blowing across the field. Honey quickly got up and took a tour around the outside checking to be sure we had "battened down the hatches". I couldn't hear my alarm the wind was so loud! It was an interesting drive into work/school. I was released from work about 1pm since the temp was dropping and the weather was appearing not to improve for the remainder of the day. I scooped up my youngest from school early and we headed out. The closer we got to home, the more snow and drifts we encountered. It was nice being home in my cozy house and I got alot of work- work at home. Am grateful they give me that option-to work at home when necessary.

We were supposed to get the foundation poured this yesterday, but they couldn't find a pump. Now we will be on hold for weather/temps. Lows are supposed to be in the negative numbers over the weekend. I'm a little worried about our barn cats- anyone have suggestions for keeping them warm (no overnight heat lamps or coming inside-sorry!) They are in an insulated kitty coop (chicken coop), but the windows are Plexiglas- Plastic will go on there tomorrow. Lots of hay and blankets inside. Tried to talk honey into letting them come in and stay in the downstairs bathroom, but that request was denied- that farmer!

Due to the weather, its soup week here. Made a sausage/bean soup on Saturday. Think I'll get potato soup going in the crock pot for tomorrow. Anyone have any good recipes for soup? Its that time of year isn't it!

Was kinda comical today- not sure what the temp was (mid 20's I think) plus the strong wind, but honey spent all the afternoon outside on the loader (no cab)- picking up rocks and moving dirt piles before everything freezes solid before the weekend. When we came home from town his eyebrows were packed with snow.

Hoping things are well where you are. Thanks for thinking of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment